Monday 22 August 2016

Art Deco London Photowalk....




A few weeks ago I went on a photo walk organised by the talented and lovely Kate of Made by Mrs M.   Kate used this map of Art Deco London and planned the trip around some of the Underground stations on it.

We all met at Rayners Lane, there were 6 of us, I only knew Laura (of Bugs and Fishes) who I've met up with before on fun days out and it was lovely to meet the others.

Rayners Lane Underground Station

I used the opportunity to practice with my DSLR on manual and I have to say I was pretty impressed with my photos, I think I have finally cracked manual, woo hoo!

Our first photo opportunity was the Zoroastrian Centre near Rayners Lane Tube Station.  I had not come across Zoroatrianism before but apparently it is one of the oldest religions in the world. Originally this Art Deco building was built in 1938 as a cinema.





Next stop Sudbury Hill....

We walked form Sudbury Hill to Sudbury Town Underground Station. We came across this view of London along the way



We also found a derelict building, it's a shame to see businesses close and buildings being unused but they do make interesting photos....







Sudbury Town has a beautiful, old ticket office.  It's great that they have kept this piece of history in the station, even thought it's no longer used.


Sudbury Town rail tracks


Sudbury Town Signals
Next stop Park Royal

I loved this photo of the station, with it's classic Art Deco architecture and the perfect timing of a train....







I love a good quote!

This was outside of the station, I loved the pattern of the iron work.
On to Chiswick Park....





I think this is my favourite photo of the day. 
At Hounslow West, the platform wasn't much to be inspired by and we were surprised the map took us here but we went up to the station and it was a little gem!


This is my favourite, favourite photo of the day! Also a great photo for the #100DaysofPatternCBC challenge

Tile pattern on the walls
This became my favourite station of the trip. I wondered how many commuters look up and take the time to admire the beautiful ceiling and the history around them.

Osterley station is very close to Heathrow and on its flight path. When outside we saw a very low flying plane which would make a great photo opportunity, especially if it were a BA flight then the branding would match the underground (yes they fly that low). I took this photo of the group waiting for the next plane....


We only had to wait a minute but unfortunately it wasn't a BA plane....


Boston Manor was our last stop of the day....




I had such a fun day out with everyone. It was so interesting to take the time to look at these tube stations, it's so easy to take these places for granted when we are rushing about our daily business.  The tour takes in a lot of buildings in London, not just the tube stations we saw but we'd need another day or two to fit in everything.

You must check out some of the fantastic photos that everyone shared on Instagram by using the hashtag #madebymrsmphotowalk and you can check out Kate's blog post about the day here where you can also sign up for the next photowalk on 1st October 2016. This will take in the stations at the south end of the Northern Line (Clapham South to South Wimbledon). I hope to join Kate again for this so if you're interested as well please sign up and I'll hopefully see you there!



2 comments:

  1. These are beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, I'm pleased you like them. It was a fun day out and I was happy that after using my camera on manual that I actually had some photos to share!

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love to hear from you, whether you just pop by to say hi, share your experiences or want to give me feedback. I appreciate your comments and love reading them.